Thursday, June 10, 2010

MAGIC JOHNSON THEATER IN SOUTH CENTRAL IS CLOSING !

IM FROM L.A AND THIS THEATER HAS BEEN IN THE COMMUNITY FOR A WHILE..... I HAVE BEEN TO THIS THEATER MANY TIMES WHEN I WAS YOUNGER IM SO SAD TO SEE IT GO....


Magic Johnson announced today that his Magic Johnson theatre on Crenshaw Boulevard in Los Angeles will be shut down. What’s more interesting, however, is the fact that Mr. Johnson no longer owns the theater, having sold it to AMC a few years back. The closing will certainly be bad news for teen employment in the area but I’m not so sure that many residents will be so sad to see it go. In a city where state-of-the-art theaters are popping up consistently, I think it’s fair to say that many neighbors venture out of the area for their movie experiences. Still, the theater has become a landmark in the South Los Angeles landscape and it will be interesting to see what replaces it.
Here are Magic’s words on the matter:
“I am deeply saddened to learn of AMC’s decision to close the Magic Johnson Theatre at Crenshaw Baldwin Hills Mall. AMC purchased the Magic Johnson Theatres several years ago. This was my first theatre, so a piece of me will definitely close with it. I want to thank the community for their support and loyalty over the years. The theatre has truly been the heartbeat of that community. Magic Johnson Enterprises will continue to bring high quality entertainment, products and services to those communities we serve every day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment